Airbnb experiences offer a unique avenue for hosts to earn extra money and connect with people from around the world. These experiences are more than just accommodation; they’re about sharing what you love about your city.
However, with many hosts eager to do the same, standing out can be a real challenge. In this post, we’ll explore various Airbnb experience ideas, guiding you on how to make your offering distinctive and memorable in a competitive market.
Update: Airbnb Paused Experiences
As of April 2023, Airbnb has put a temporary hold on accepting new Experience submissions. They’re in the midst of enhancing their services, so this pause is just a short-term measure.
If you’re planning to share your local expertise or unique crafts on Airbnb, it’s wise to hold onto those ideas for a bit longer. Don’t worry, though – the Experiences that are already available will continue to operate, allowing guests to enjoy the diverse activities they offer.
This effort by Airbnb to improve the Experiences section might bring a slight inconvenience now, but it’s all aimed at creating a better platform for both hosts and guests in the long run.
So, stay prepared with your unique offerings, as once Airbnb resumes accepting new Experiences, you’ll have the opportunity to showcase yours. Stay updated.
What Is an Airbnb Experience?
An Airbnb Experience is an activity that allows guests to get a real sense of how people live in that area. Guests can participate in several events, from workshops to tours to outdoor adventures.
They provide an alternative to the usual guided tours by letting visitors explore the host’s interests in a more personal way.
Types of Airbnb Experience
Airbnb offers two main types of experiences: Online Experiences and In-Person Experiences. Each type caters to different needs and preferences, providing unique opportunities for hosts and guests alike.
Online Experiences are virtual activities hosted over video platforms like Zoom. These experiences allow guests from all over the world to connect, learn, and explore new things from the comfort of their homes.
They’re ideal for people who want to experience something new without traveling. Hosts can share their skills and passions digitally, whether it’s a cooking class, a virtual tour of a city, a music lesson, or a yoga session.
The key advantage of Online Experiences is their accessibility and convenience. They open up a world of possibilities, transcending geographical boundaries and making it possible for anyone with an internet connection to participate.
In-Person Experiences are activities that guests participate in physically, at a specific location. These experiences are all about immersing guests in the local culture, environment, or activity.
They can range from city tours, hiking adventures, and cooking classes, to more unique offerings like pottery workshops, wine tastings, or surfing lessons.
In-Person Experiences are perfect for travelers who want to dive deeper into the local lifestyle and for hosts who are eager to share the real, tangible aspects of their culture and environment.
These experiences rely on personal interaction and the charm of being physically present in a new, exciting environment.
Both types of experiences offer distinct benefits and cater to different audiences. Online Experiences provide flexibility and global reach, while In-Person Experiences offer a more tactile and immersive encounter with a new place or skill.
As a host, choosing the type of experience to offer depends on your resources, interests, and the kind of interaction you wish to have with your guests.
How to Start an Airbnb Experience
To start an Airbnb Experience, first, you need to apply by sending in your idea to Airbnb. Remember, not just any activity works. It can’t be just a regular service or something that includes a place to stay. Airbnb wants experiences that stand out and really involve guests.
When you’re planning your experience, keep in mind these three key things Airbnb looks for:
- Expertise: This is where you showcase your deep knowledge or unique skills.
- Insider Access: Your experience should offer guests something they can’t find anywhere else – a unique perspective or access.
- Connection: The experience should create a personal, engaging interaction, immersing guests in the activity and connecting them with the local culture or your passion.
Best Airbnb Experience Ideas
With so many Airbnb Experiences out there, standing out can be challenging. Let’s look at some of the best ideas that have proven to be guest favorites.
1. Cooking and chocolate experiences — Foodies are always on the lookout for new culinary experiences while traveling. You can cater to this interest by combining tradition, culture, and food. Add your own personality to the experience to make it stand out.
2. Wellness Spa experiences — Wellness is a key motivator for many when seeking out experiences. Whether your approach is a traditional spa experience or something more holistic, it’s important to focus on what makes your offering unique.
3. Photography and photoshoot experiences — Help travelers capture a moment with the perfect backdrop: your city. This takes creating memories to a whole new level, use your local know-how to offer your clients the perfect scene.
4. Coffee experience ideas — Those who love coffee aren’t exaggerating—they really do love coffee. Tap into this enthusiasm by offering experiences that connect the history and culture of coffee with your city.
5. Art and Craft Workshops — People love to learn new skills, especially when they’re unique to a particular place. Offer workshops that allow guests to create something they can take home as a souvenir.
6. Outdoor Adventure Experiences — Thrill-seekers and nature lovers are always looking for exciting outdoor activities. Offer experiences that showcase the natural beauty and adventure opportunities in your area.
7. Local History and Culture Tours — Many travelers seek to immerse themselves in the local culture and history. Create tours that offer an insider’s view of your city’s past and present.
8. Music and Dance Experiences — Music and dance are universal languages that resonate with many. Offer experiences that involve local music and dance traditions.
- Traditional Flamenco Show in Historic Cave
- Seville -Flamenco Dance Class with optional flamenco Costume
9. Wine and Brewery Tours — Wine and craft beer enthusiasts are always eager to explore local flavors. Offer tours that include tastings and behind-the-scenes looks at production.
10. Nature and Wildlife Encounters — Experiences that allow guests to respectfully observe or interact with wildlife can be unforgettable.
11. Sustainable Living and Eco-Tours — With growing interest in sustainability, offer tours or workshops that teach eco-friendly practices or showcase sustainable living.
These are just some of the many Airbnb experience ideas out there! What’s important is you provide something unique and memorable. Tailor your experience to showcase your personal expertise and passion.
Whether it’s a hidden gem in your city, a family recipe, or a unique skill, sharing what you love makes the experience special for your guests. Remember, the best experiences are those that create a connection — between people, cultures, and places.
So, think about what makes your offering different and how it can leave a lasting impression. With a little creativity and authenticity, you can turn your knowledge and interests into an unforgettable experience for travelers from around the world.
How to Host an Experience on Airbnb
To host an experience on Airbnb, you’ll need to provide several key details.
Start with a catchy title and a clear description of your experience. Detail what you’ll provide to the guests and what they should bring. Include at least 7 photos to visually represent your experience.
Finally, decide on the start time, duration, and price per guest to complete your listing.
Requirements and Best Practices
Create a standout profile that showcases your unique skills and offerings, and focus on a niche to differentiate your experience. To ensure you’re in line with Airbnb’s expectations, thoroughly read and adhere to their guidelines.
When listing on the Airbnb Experiences Dashboard, keep in mind the 20% commission fee for your pricing strategy.
How to Make Money with Airbnb Experiences
A lot of Airbnb hosts have joined Airbnb Experiences to make more money. Along with vacation rentals, you can do things like pub crawls, guided tours, and food experiences.
As you learn more about what you love, your list of Experiences can grow, giving your guests more options. Giving overnight guests a tour can make their stay better, which can lead to better reviews.
If you are passionate about something you think other people will enjoy, Airbnb Experiences can help you find guests who are interested. Make a captivating listing, start taking reservations, and watch your income grow.
How to Set Up an Airbnb Experience for Success
- Understand local trends — Identify what activities are popular in your area and think about how you can offer something similar yet distinctive.
- Leverage your uniqueness — Use your personal interests and expertise to create experiences that reflect your personality and skills.
- Quality over quantity — Focus on offering high-quality experiences that you are knowledgeable and passionate about.
- Think like a guest — Design experiences that you would enjoy as a guest, ensuring they are engaging and memorable.
Airbnb Experiences can supplement hosting income. Look at what other hosts in your area have to offer. What you learn from this research can help you spot unique opportunities and understand popular trends.
By knowing the local scene and adding your own touch, you can create memorable experiences that impress guests and stand out in the market.
Thanks for letting us know!
How could we improve this post?