Your potential guests are scrolling through hundreds of Airbnb listings, looking for their next stay. So how do you stand out and get more bookings?
Along with your photo, your Airbnb listing title is the first thing potential guests will see, making it one of the most important aspects of your listing. When optimizing your Airbnb listing, having a great title is one of the best ways to increase your bookings on Airbnb.
In this post, we’ve put together some best practices to help you write your very best Airbnb titles, along with some examples of good Airbnb titles we’ve come across.
4 Best Practices for More Effective Airbnb Titles
While there’s no silver-bullet approach to writing the perfect Airbnb title, here are some best practices to keep in mind.
- Highlight your unique selling points
- Use all (or close to) 50 allowed characters
- Avoid generic descriptors
- Feature a branded property name
Let’s look at each of these ideas in more detail.
1. Highlight Your Unique Amenities or Location
Think about which amenities make your property especially desirable or unique. A hot tub, pool, or balcony are all great amenities to feature (unless almost every other property in your area is featuring them as well).
To get ideas, you can take a look at the competing listings in your area and see if there are amenities you have that others don’t. These are amenities you can feature that will make you stand out. What features could you highlight about your property to stand out to your ideal guest?
- hot tub, pool
- square footage
- free parking
- bikes included
- w/ View of [insert popular destination]
- 5 mins to [insert Airport]
- 4 mins from [insert Freeway]
- Steps away from the beach!
Remember, you are trying to stand out. Make sure your guests know why they should book with you instead of the listing directly above or below.
Pro Tip: Update your listing for upcoming events. Is there a big convention, sporting event, or something that’s bringing in lots of visitors? Highlight it in your listing.
2. Use All 50 Characters in Your Airbnb Title
Airbnb’s title limit is 50 characters. Airbnb favors longer titles, and we recommend making your title as close to 50 characters as possible.
Consider using emojis and symbols. According to Airbnb’s content policy, emojis and symbols are not permitted in your title. However, many listings use them and seem to be okay, so it’s up to you. If you do decide to use them, here are some symbols and emojis you can copy and paste on your desktop computer:
★ ☆ ☀ ☼ ♥ ♡ ☻ ☺ ☚ ☛ ☜ ☞ ☟ ☝✓ ✔ ☑ ✅
Make sure to view your listing on mobile and desktop to verify they are showing up correctly in your title.
Use an internal name. Airbnb now allows you to create an ‘Internal name’ for your listing. This feature is long overdue and means you can easily organize and identify multiple properties without adding things like identifying numbers in your public-facing Airbnb listing title. Learn how to add an internal name to your Airbnb listing here.
Avoid all caps. All caps has the tendency to look spammy and unprofessional. Plus, it can make your title take up more space, which means it might get cut off on smaller displays.
3. Avoid Generic and Redundant Descriptors
Remember, your goal is to STAND 👏 OUT 👏 among hundreds of other listings your guest is scrolling through. To write catchy Airbnb titles, we recommend not using overly generic adjectives. Here are a few examples to avoid:
- Beautiful, nice, comfortable, etc. These are pretty generic and not very descriptive. Instead of these, consider using words that describe the style of your place: E.g., luxury, modern, rustic, chic, retro.
- Convenient. Why is it convenient? You might say that it’s 2 Blocks from Downtown or 5 mins from XYZ Airport or whatever specific reason you believe your property is “convenient” for your potential guests.
- Spacious. Instead of saying your property is “spacious” (which is very relative), you might consider including square footage (if this is a unique selling point for your listing). Or include mention of two stories, a loft, or another feature that effectively illustrates size.
- Renovated. This mainly only matters to you. Since you won’t be showing your guests the “before” and “after” pictures (except maybe on your Instagram or blog, which is a great idea btw), your guests probably don’t care or need to know that your property used to look worse.
- Private or “Entire Place.” This is a filter that many guests will already be using to refine their search. So in many cases, this information will be prominent and redundant.
- Remember, you are selling an experience. You want your listing to be unique, and if every other property nearby is cozy, charming, and convenient, then you’ll have a hard time standing out if that’s how you describe your property.
4. Give Your Airbnb a Brand Name
If you are independently marketing your vacation rental, you should already have a brand name for your Airbnb. A brand name can help your listing stand out in guests’ minds.
After looking through dozens or potentially hundreds of listings, a guest may have a better chance of remembering yours if it had a unique, branded name. If your property has a unique name and people Google it, it will be the first result.
Bonus: if you have a website for your vacation rental, guests can also find your website when they search your brand name on Google.
Examples of Good Airbnb Titles
We’ve compiled a list of several Airbnb title examples that stand out for various reasons. Looking through competitor Airbnb listings for catchy titles that grab your attention is an excellent way to get inspiration to write your own Airbnb titles.
Summary & Recommendations
Here’s a recap of some best practices to keep in mind when writing your Airbnb listing title:
- Highlight your unique amenities, location, or whatever else makes your property stand out.
- Use the total 50-character limit.
- Avoid generic adjectives like ‘nice,’ ‘beautiful,’ ‘convenient,’ and ‘spacious.’ Be more specific instead.
- Give your Airbnb a brand name.
You can also try using an Airbnb title generator, like this one from OptimizeMyBnb. Use the titles it creates for ideas and inspiration, or copy-paste and use them as your Airbnb listing titles.
And if you aren’t already using an Airbnb pricing tool, we recommend trying one out. Besides a good listing photo and title, optimizing your Airbnb pricing strategy is one of the best ways to increase your bookings and profits.
We hope these Airbnb listing title tips and examples have given you some ideas for writing your own Airbnb titles. If you’re looking for more ideas to make your Airbnb stand out, check out our Vacation Rental Marketing Guide.