The best dishes for Airbnb are simple, durable, and easy to replace.
While buying dishes may seem like a breeze, finding ones that fit all the criteria can be challenging because it’s easy to get distracted by all the choices and head in the wrong direction.
We’ve looked into what property owners have to say about the dishware they’ve been using so you can avoid the whole buy-throw-repurchase vicious cycle.
After everything we’ve read, heard, tested, and considered, we’ve determined that the best dinnerware for Airbnb is the Corelle 18 Piece Dinnerware Set.
How We Make Our Recommendations
Here’s how we decide which products make our top picks list:
- Feedback from 200+ Hosts: our Vacation Rental Inventory Spreadsheet has been downloaded and used by hundreds of hosts like you. We update it regularly based on the feedback we get.
- Online Reviews: we scour the internet for product reviews from real Airbnb hosts.
- Forums and Communities: we spend a lot of time in online forums and communities for vacation rentals, to see which products get recommended the most.
- Suitability: products you buy for your Airbnb need to be durable, affordable, and easy to clean. We keep all these factors in mind when making our recommendations.
Why Should You Have Dishes in Your Airbnb?
Dishes aren’t a necessity for Airbnb, but everything that contributes to guests’ experience matters.
The golden rule is the more amenities you have, the wider variety of guests will pick your rental. So, if you want more bookings and 5-star reviews, put dishes on your vacation rental kitchen checklist.
Otherwise, you might be facing some bad reviews because your guests were expecting more from your rental and didn’t get the full service they’d hoped for.
Limiting your guests to eating out while staying at your place will reduce the number of guests who come to your Airbnb.
Factors to Consider When Buying Dishes for Your Vacation Rental
Buying the first set of dishes that looks pretty isn’t the best approach to choosing dishes for your Airbnb. They need to fulfill certain criteria if you want to make sure that you won’t need another set within a few weeks.
Here are the main factors you should consider when browsing for dishware:
All Airbnb owners know that most guests aren’t very careful, so you need durable dishware that won’t break or get scratch marks easily.
Your guests need plates for different types of meals. Otherwise, they’ll be unhappy, and you’ll end up with a messy kitchen.
Get a set with dinner plates, appetizer/snack plates, and soup/cereal bowls. You can also consider adding a bigger bowl for pasta and similar meals.
Easy to Clean and Dishwasher Safe
Aim for low-maintenance dishware. For example, porcelain and glass clean easily, don’t stain and can be soaked without damage.
You also want dishes that can be cleaned in a dishwasher, so keep an eye out for that.
Avoid melamine and plastic dishes because you can’t put them in a microwave.
Melamine leaches into acidic food and could melt, which is also true for plastic dishes. Your guests may not know this, so if you forget to tell them, you’ll face some uncomfortable situations.
How Many Sets
Dishes usually come in sets for 4 or 6 people. Which one you opt for will depend on how many guests your short-term rental accommodates.
Guests will appreciate having extra pieces if someone comes over or doesn’t want to wash the dishes right away, so think about getting twice as many plates as the number of guests.
Whether you’ll go for square or round dishes depends on your rental aesthetic.
Round dishes go well with every style and theme; square ones can contribute to a modern vibe.
If you’re thinking about square plates but aren’t sure which ones to check out, we suggest the Porlien 24-Piece Classic Square Dinnerware Set.
We vote for classic white when it comes to color. They are easier to clean, and they don’t show scratching marks compared to colored ones.
Plus, according to NPR, round, white plates can enhance sweet flavors in food.
Easy to Replace
Despite investing in durable dinnerware, something will inevitably get broken sooner or later.
That’s why we recommend choosing products that aren’t so unique because they aren’t easy to replace. A more basic set that you can replace at any time is the best for Airbnb.
The Best Dishes for Airbnb and Vacation Rentals
After hours of in-depth research, reading reviews, consulting superhosts, and trying out dozens of products, we finally found the Corelle Dinnerware Set.
It checks all the boxes and has amazing reviews from Airbnb and vacation rental owners on Amazon making it our top pick!.
The dishes in the Corelle 18-Piece Dinnerware Set are not your average white dishes. We love the:
- Classic but Stylish Look – The white adds to the elegance while the round edges add a modern touch. Corelle’s design of plates can match any style of property, and they’ll make the food look even tastier.
- 18-Piece Set – The set comes with 6 dinner plates, 6 appetizer/snack plates, and 6 soup/cereal bowls. This is enough for a rental of any size. If you want to add bigger bowls for salads or pasta, the Corelle store has these white meal bowls that will pair perfectly with their plates.
- Durable Material – These plates are made of triple-layer-strong glass that is highly resistant to chips and cracks.
- Easy to Match with Other Dishware – Since they have that modern-basic look, you can easily match the rest of your kitchen items with this style. You can check out our top-pick mugs, for example, to see how even products from other stores go well with these plates.
- Microwave and Dishwasher Safe – You can put these plates in a microwave, preheat them in the oven, and wash them in a dishwasher.
Other Airbnb Dishes Alternatives
If you want to go back to basics, then you’ll like this Amazon Basics 18-Piece Kitchen Dinnerware Set. It’s made of durable but lightweight porcelain and has a simple and elegant design.
The set contains six dinner plates, dessert plates, and soup/salad bowls. What’s also important for Airbnb is that these dishes are dishwasher, freezer, and microwave-safe.
Are you looking for silverware as well?
You’ll love this Amazon Basic set of plates, bowls, and mugs! It also comes with 20 pieces of stainless steel flatware!
If you don’t mind paying more for dishware, we suggest the Euro Ceramica Essential Collection Porcelain Dinnerware and Serveware. This set of dishware for 4 people has a sleek, glossy finish, which makes it suitable for both casual and elegant styles of kitchens.
The high-quality porcelain is scratch- and fade-resistant, and you can use it in a microwave or dishwasher.
If you’re aiming for as many 5-star reviews as possible, getting quality dishes that look elegant and durable should be a part of your strategy.
In our opinion, the Corelle 18-Piece Dinnerware Set is the best overall because it promises longevity while being able to suit both modern and classic aesthetics. They also offer the best quality for an affordable price—there’s nothing more we can ask for!
Thanks for letting us know!
How could we improve this post?