Listing your vacation rental property on both Airbnb and Booking.com is a great way to increase exposure for your properties. But it can also increase the chances your property will get double bookings—and we all know how much of a headache those can be.
Thankfully, there is now a way to sync your Airbnb and Booking.com calendars to help prevent multiple guests from booking the same dates on different platforms.
Airbnb and Booking.com use the same iCal calendar format and can easily be synced with each other and with other calendars like your Google calendar.
There are two ways how to sync your Airbnb calendar with Booking.com
How to Sync Your Airbnb and Booking.com Calendars
1. Manually Syncing
Follow this two-part process to learn how to sync your Airbnb and Booking.com calendars.
Part 1: Import your Airbnb calendar into Booking.com
The first step you’ll take to sync your Airbnb calendar with Booking.com is to get the Airbnb iCal URL for the calendar you want to sync.
- Go to your Airbnb dashboard > Listings and select a listing
- Go to Pricing and Availability > Calendar sync
- Click Export Calendar
- Copy the Airbnb calendar link/URL
Now you have the Airbnb iCal calendar URL copied, it’s time to import it into Booking.com.
- In your Booking.com account, click on the Calendar or Rates & Availability tab and select Sync Calendars.
- Click on Add calendar connection.
- Paste your Airbnb calendar link into the field, give it a name, and click Next step.
Your Booking.com calendar will now pull in bookings from Airbnb.
Part 2: Import your Booking.com calendar into Airbnb
Now, do the same thing but in reverse—sync your Booking.com calendar with Airbnb.
- Still in your Booking.com account, click on Copy link to copy your Booking.com iCal link.
- Go back to your Airbnb listing, and under Sync Calendars, click Import Calendar.
- Paste your Booking.com calendar link, name your calendar (e.g., Booking.com), and click Import Calendar.
In your Booking.com account, you should now see your Airbnb calendar in your overview of connections. You’ll likely see the status as Activating while the connection is being set up. Once your calendars are synced, the status will change to OK.
And that’s it! Your Booking.com calendar will now pull in bookings from Airbnb, and vice versa.
Here’s a YouTube video that walks through the steps we just covered, showing exactly how to sync Airbnb calendar with Booking.com.
2. Using a Channel Manager
Don’t have time to do manually syncing?
To make things easier and avoid problems, we suggest using a channel manager to sync calendars. This tool helps keep track of when your place is booked and makes sure all booking websites show the right info. It also gives you one place to see all your messages.
Aside from Airbnb and Booking.com, a channel manager can also sync with platforms like VRBO, Furnished Finder, 9Flats, and more.
Other things a channel manager can do for you:
- Automated Pricing Adjustments: It can dynamically adjust prices based on market demand, occupancy rates, and other factors, helping you maximize revenue.
- Centralized Management: Manage all your listings from a single dashboard, saving time and reducing the hassle of logging into multiple platforms.
- Real-Time Updates: Instantly update availability and booking information across all platforms, reducing the risk of overbooking.
- Performance Analytics: Provides insights into your booking trends, revenue, and occupancy rates, helping you make informed decisions about your property management.
- Guest Communication: Some channel managers offer tools for managing guest communications, streamlining the process of responding to inquiries and bookings.
- Custom Reports: Generate detailed reports for a better understanding of your business performance, aiding in strategic planning and financial management.
In essence, a channel manager is not just a tool for syncing calendars; it’s a comprehensive solution for managing and optimizing your online rental business.
How to Avoid Double Bookings While Waiting For Calendars to Sync
Remember that your iCal calendars will not update immediately. Airbnb and Booking.com calendars usually take a couple of hours to update. This leaves room for the possibility of double bookings.
However, the chances that two different guests will book the same dates within a few hours of each other may be relatively low.
But if you’re concerned about the possibility of double bookings, you do have a couple of options.
1. Manually Refresh Your Calendars
You can manually sync your Airbnb and Booking.com calendars by clicking the Update/Refresh buttons in your Airbnb or Booking.com account whenever you get a new booking.
This isn’t ideal, however, since syncing your Airbnb and Booking.com calendars was done to avoid manually updating them.
Still, if you’re available as booking notifications come in, this is something you could consider doing.
2. Use a Vacation Rental Channel Manager
The simplest and most effective way to avoid double bookings is to use a channel manager.
Software platforms like Lodgify and others offer channel management features to keep all your channels (Airbnb, Booking.com, VRBO, direct booking website, etc.) synced. Check out our post on the best vacation rental channel managers.
Make sure whatever channel manager you choose uses an API integration rather than relying on iCal calendar sync (which is the process we covered in this post). Otherwise, you’ll experience the same time delay.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I list my Airbnb on Booking.com?
Sure, you can list your Airbnb property on Booking.com. It’s a smart move to reach more guests. Just remember to keep your calendars synced to avoid double bookings.
How is Airbnb different from Booking.com?
Airbnb and Booking.com have different vibes. Airbnb is more about unique, local experiences, often with personal touches. Booking.com leans towards traditional hotel stays and a wider range of options, including apartments and vacation homes.
Can I list on both Airbnb and Booking.com?
Absolutely! Listing your property on both Airbnb and Booking.com is a great idea. It increases your visibility and potential bookings. Just make sure to sync your calendars between the two to prevent any scheduling mix-ups.
Thanks for letting us know!
How could we improve this post?